Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP prevent use of static IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

gczman

ISP
Jun 3, 2008
US
I was wondering what options it takes to prevent the use of static ip addresses on a dhcp network. I don't want a client to put a static address in and get on the network I want clients to only be able to get on the network if they got an address from the dhcp server. This is a linux server. Thanks

Are the workstations windows?

If they have limited accounts then they cannot modify TCP/IP configuration..so that's one possible solution.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Questions like this come up in other forums a lot. While I haven't personally investigated the details, the most common answer is to use a proxy server, such as Squid, and put access controls on who can get through.

Thanks! It ended up being the relay agent for our particular equipment. Once it was all setup correctly, if the client MAC didn't match the any of the leases it couldn't get online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back