Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP over router

Status
Not open for further replies.

reecem

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
BE
We have a DHCP and PDC server in the UK in which our site in Germany also log onto over the router. The problem is that we have had to setup the german user's using static IP addresses as it won't collect it from the DHCP server. They are able to logon to the network using our PDC though over the router.

The server's are running NT4 SP6 and the client's are WIN9x.
The tcp/ip for the router in UK is xxx.xxx.178.254 and xxx.xxx.179.254 for germany.

Is there any way that the german users can use DHCP without putting a server at their site?

It will depend on the features of the router, I use Nortel Accelars, they have a feature to convert the broadcast DHCP request into a unicast to the DHCP server then take the servers reply and proxy it to the client. that would allow what you want. what kind of router are you using?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back