Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP on Subnets... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

markcsand

MIS
Apr 8, 2004
US
I have one domain with 2 subnets. One is on the 112.0 subnet and the other is on the 113.0 subnet. I am in the process of upgrading to 2003 and want to get away from static ip's and use DHCP. Each subnet is in a different office. How do I run DHCP in one office and have it pull only 112.0 addresses and the other office only pull 113.0 addresses?

The router will take care of it (for Cisco it's iphelper). Just create the scopes on your server and when a request comes from the router it will be on the remote subnets scope.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks for the info... With the iphelper for Cisco is there anything that needs to be configured? And does this also go for Nortel routers?

The ip helper address just needs to be added to the LAN interface of the router at the remote office.
The syntax would be similar to:

interface FastEthernet0
ip address 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.0.0.50

The ip helper address is the address of your DHCP server. Obviously, your addresses will differ.

Not sure about Nortel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back