Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampko

Programmer
Nov 4, 2004
US
I seem to be having a problem with DHCP working on my network. Here is how I have it setup. I have cable modem going into cisco 1700(ip -192.168.0.2) setup with DHCP. Then I have fast ethernet going into a netgear wireless router (ip - 192.168.0.1) All computers are either plugged into the multiple ports on the netgear or via wireless on the netgear. I have DHCP turned off on the netgear. So as you can imagine the default gateway for all comp's is 192.168.0.2. I turned on dhcp on the cisco and setup a decent range. However any of the computers I connect either physical or wireless will not get a dynamic ip assigned. I have set static. Normally this wouldn't be a problem however more and more laptops are around so when I bring them back to this network, I always have to remember to set a static to connect. My question, is there something I should be doing on the netgear to pass this type of traffic to the cisco?? Is the netgear blocking the dhcp requests from getting to the cisco?

Yes. Your Netgear is not just an access point or just a switch, but it is a router that has a basic SPI firewall. Going from the cable modem directly into the WAN interface of the Netgear (taking the Cisco out the picture completely) will be the less complicated/easiest thing for you to do. Is there a reason to hold onto the Cisco?

mainly because when the netgear was setup as the router, I had to power cycle it sometimes 2-3 times a week in order for it to work. Now I mainly have it setup to use for switching purposes. Any way to disable the firewall settings, or forward them on to the cisco?

Don't plug into the WAN port of the Netgear and create a default route to the Cisco. So just use the LAN side of the Netgear and the route will point to Cisco for your network to get out to the Internet.

That's what I was thinking previously, but could not get to work. I already only had the lan ports hooked up. I even dissabled spi on the netgear. Here is the Static Route I setup on the netgear: Route name: Test Private Checkbox: Checked (tried both checked and unchecked). Destination IP = 192.168.0.2(ip of 1700) Subnet: 255.255.255.0 Gateway IP = 192.168.0.1 (ip of netgear) Metric = 2.

Blah I give up.. Just setup the win2008 server to issue dhcp ip's and everything works ok. I just need to get a regular switch instead of the netgear. Thanks for the help though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back