Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Not handing out leases 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilFoster

Technical User
May 8, 2002
GB
My server is configured to provide file, print and internet sharing (the latter through an ISDN TA - no router).

I've configured a scope in DHCP - 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.24 - two reservations: one for the server on .1 and one for my laptop on .2

DHCP server doesn't (according to "Address Leases" in DHCP console) hand out leases to my other (w98) workstations, but all the workstations get access to the LAN and internet.

Also, most of the workstations get IP addresses outside the range of the defined scope (e.g 192.168.0.64).

I'm totally baffled by all this. Can anyone shed any light please?

If there's no DHCP leases going out then you haven't authorised the DHCP server (this could be a red herring as it may only apply to RIS).

What happens on 98 if you run winipcfg and choose renew?

The server is authorised (it's got a little green up-arrow).

WINIPCFG - On a machine that has logged on successfully (can see the server, shares and other workstations, oh and BTW can be seen from the server by LANguard Network Scanner - with all the correct credential (logon name, station name)) it fails.

Releasing and trying again also fails, but restarting the workstation gets it all back again - but only on a second restart!

On a machine that doesn't have the right ip's. what happens when you type ipconfig /all Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790), US statesman, diplomat, inventor.

Do you have DHCP setup on a Windows 2000 Server? Or are we talking NT4 Server? Can you give a description on how your Windows98 workstations TCP/IP Settings are defined? (I.E - Your IP Settings, what you have for protocols?) Also, do you have the domain entered in 2 places on your Windows98 workstations 1 = Client for MSNetworks. Check properties
2 = Identification Tab. Make sure domain is
entered in the workgroup field.

If the DHCP is setup on a Windows2000 server check the scope properties. I believe there is a setting that needs to be checked for downlevel clients like Windows95/98 machines. Sorry, not in front of my test Windows2000 Server to give you exact info.

Assuming the DHCP server is indeed setup correctly

On the client run winipcfg and click "more info" and check the address of the dhcp server.

If the server address is the address of your dhcp server, your server is not setup with the parameters described.

If the server is a DIFFERENT address then you are receiving the addresses from

A machine inside your network setup to provide DHCP
A machine outside of your network

How is your network connected to the ISDN provider? How is routing performed? Someone has to be providing routing services since your clients are able to access the internet.

Who is providing nat?

Answer these questions and you will resolve the dhcp issue

First, thanks for your replies - it's my day off today so the problem has had a rest too.

I have checked all the w98 w/s and as far as I can see all the correct settings are in place. From memory, the server (W2k Server) is seen by the w/s as the server - ie 192.168.0.1 - I can connect via the server name - for example I can add network printers via \\server\printername.

Zoey Yes the domain name is entered in both places. Also the option for sub W2k workstations is selected.

Alex If the server address is the address of your dhcp server, your server is not setup with the parameters described.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I'll be persuing this tomorrow, so thanks for all your help so far - don't touch that dial

Phil,

Tomorrow also confirm your TCP/IP settings for the NIC on your Windows98 Machines. Just curious how you have those settings defined (All the tabs, I.E WINS, DNS, IP Address page)The WINIPCFG should list everything about your IP Address, DNS, DHCP so do a WINIPCFG again just to display what all your addresses are. You mentioned when you tried to "Release" or "Renew" it failed. I wonder if a static IP address is defined? So many guesses.

This morning more wierdness abounds. One of the W98 workstations has a lease and can see the LAN and the Internet. The iMac has a lease and can see the LAN, but not the Internet. The other W98 machines don't have a lease but can all see the LAN & the Internet! The settings on all the W98 machines and the Active Directory settings are identical

Zoey All the W/S are configured to "Get IP address automatically". Here's the output from WINIPCFG on one of the (non leased) w/s:
Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : WS-FOUR.mydomain.local
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PCI Bus Master Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-20-18-A8-23-2E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.128
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 05 22 02 09:20:47
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 05 29 02 09:20:47

And here's the info' from the W/S that got a lease:
Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : WS-ONE.mydomain.local
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PCI Bus Master Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-20-18-A8-22-E2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 05 22 02 11:01:42
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 05 29 02 11:01:42
The time difference on the lease should be ignored.
Notice that the IP address on the non-leased W/S is 192.168.0.128 - This is outside the scope I defined - 192.160.0.1 to 192.168.0.24 (btw the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0)

Puzzled.

since the IP delivered by DHCP are renewed respectively after 50% and 7/8 of the leased Time defined, I think that you should try to reduce the time to the minimum so the IP are renewed.
you can also renew the lease as suggested before. ipconfig /release
ipconfig/renew
(client side of course)
it seemes as if an old lease if still working.

question, did u change the class configuration of your DHCP (in wich you can define a special scope for a define system eg: W9X
Option classes offer an additional method for grouping DHCP-provided configuration details for clients within a scope)

samir

Sam There are no old leases - that's the point, only 3 leases out of six have been issued. Only my W2K Pro laptop, 1 W98 W/S and the iMac have leases.
question, did u change the class configuration of your DHCP (in wich you can define a special scope for a define system eg: W9X
Option classes offer an additional method for grouping DHCP-provided configuration details for clients within a scope)

I'm sorry, but I can't see any options in DHCP for class setting???

Just out of interest, I just ran IPCONFIG /ALL on the server and got the following:
Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . : server
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . : mydomain.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . : mydomain.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Description . . . . . . . . . . : Macronix MX98715 Family Fast Ethernet Adapter (ACPI)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . : 00-20-18-A8-23-2F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

PPP adapter Demon:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Description . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 193.195.124.209
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 193.195.124.209
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . : 158.152.1.58

Does that look OK?

Why the different subnet masks? Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

Glen If you mean between the Ethernet Adapter & the PPP Adapter, good question. I can't remember setting that (can one set a ISDN TA mask?) all I remember plugging in is the IP address, given to me by my ISP.

I don't know, but I'd be curios if someone did. It's at least a place to start looking. DNS also from your provider? Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

Glen I just created another dial-up connection and there's no way of setting a subnet mask. Yes DNS provided by ISP. I have Forwarding on and have removed the root from DNS server.

I must be missing something. The w2k default subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, and I've never had problems changing subnet masks. Are you working on a router that you telnet into? I thought it was a w2k server. I gues my problem is I don't know what a PPP adaptor demon is. Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

PPP adapter is my ISDN modem - Demon is my ISP.
I don't understand the submask (yet) are you saying I should have 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0?

No, it's just when you set up an ip on a w2k machine, it defaults to 255.255.0.0. I've never had a problem changing a subnet mask is what I meant. I don't understand why you can't change it is all. I would think you need 255.255.255.0. Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

Hey Guys, that mask is OK. Typically, with PPP connections (modem or ISDN dial-up) via an ISP, your entire address is masked since you're making a direct connection into their systems, and being routed from there.
Phil, on the affected machines, have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the networking components?

Phil,

Also think about adding a WINS Server. And when you add the Wins Server you will need to add options 044 and 046 in DHCP Server.

Also, can you confirm what options you have setup in DHCP. The required options:
006 ==>DNS Server
015 ==>DNS domain name
044 ==>Wins
046 ==>Wins node (I believe you need 0x8)
001 ==>Router (If you have a router)

So try adding WINS and verify these options. WINS will help when you have downlevel clients like Windows95/98

Let me know if this helps. Adding WINS will not hurt anything. Hopefully it will help resolve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back