Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Issue - Windows 2000 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonalds

MIS
Jan 9, 2004
US

Two questions, why do some of my reservations say that they are inactive? Why do I have leases showing without a name? How do I track those devices down in order to know what they are?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy,

1) Inactive reservation are just that, inactive. The device has the reservation but currently is not online.

2) Leases without names may be M-DHCP (manual dhcp) in which a reservation is set statically via the devices hardware address.

3) You can use nbtstat command to view name resolutition from layer 2 to 3 to help in assertaining the devices location/identity. There are several other cmd line functions that can help with this as well but I'd need more information regarding your specific environment/issue.

Paul

Thanks Paul, though when I ran the following command:

nbtstat -A 192.168.1.1 (for example)

It tells me that the host name cannot be found. Any other suggestions? I'm running in a 2000 domain.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back