Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP (Ip dropp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamsabeti

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2008
when I try to access the Internet, the "Page cannot be displayed" message appears. I must do "Repair" in XP on the Local Area Connection. It fix the problem but in 30 minutes again will drop again. Clicking this feature (Reapairing the connection) will solve the problem. My other location ok the ony diffrent is we use diffrent gateway address.
Please advise

Do you use DHCP or is this static?

If DHCP, does a simple "ipconfig /renew" fix the problem? (take a cut / paste of "ipconfig /all" to compare).

Do other computers on the same LAN have the same problem or just yours?

If it is just yours, I would look at the switch to see if the negotiation settings and the status.

eugene

Here is my suspicion... Since you are using two NICs each having a default gateway, your routing table is having issue with the default route (0.0.0.0). Next time this happens do a 'route print' from the command line. What is the gateway for the default route? This will let you now which interface is being used when accessioning the Internet. Are you seeing two default routes in the routing table? this would not be good as you can only have one default route.

My next question is why the need for two interfaces? Answering this question may help in providing a solution.

Jesse Hamrick

We need some clarification. Do you have multiple pc's or multiple nics? Seems to be some confusion here.
My other location ok the ony diffrent is we use diffrent gateway address
This is probably where the issue is coming from. Is the gateway the only difference? If it is, why is it different? Thanks.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
[americanflag]
Support our Troops!

We have multiple pc'. Our loaction are connected thru T1 line. May be the reason the diffrent the gatway becouse each site will have it is own gateway easy to distiguish site. We have cisco switches. I hope it help. Kamran

So for any 1 site, you only have 1 gateway or default route.

Get your PC on the network.

Save the output of Start/cmd

netstat -r
and
ipconfig /all

Notice the value for Default Gateway. (0.0.0.0)

ping the ip address of the default gateway to ensure it is pingable.

When the outage occurs, repeat above and compare to make sure that values are the same and no routes are injected.

Now ping the default gateway to see if you can get there.

Use ping -t IPADDRESS

Try from another computer on the same LAN/switch.

If computers on the switch with the same default gateway have the problem, it is probably upstream of the switch.
If only your computer has a problem, then it is the switch port or possibly the network interface.

Just wondering if it might be easier to just go static? Maybe there's just a simple NIC issue, or Windows issue and that is why you are not keeping an address lease???? I would try to go static and see if that corrects the problem. If it does, just go to whatever device is your DHCP server, and create an exclusion for that address so there are not address conflicts on the network...

You should be getting a warning pop-up when attenpting to set multiple defaults gateways. An easy solution is to simply make sure the binding order is correct (with the highest used interface at the top, etc.), set the gateway on only the most used/primary interface, then do a route add command to tie the route...

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging00, MCSA03, A+
Sr. Infrastructure Management Analyst
Distributed Systems Engineering
ACS, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back