Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP having problems assigning client with DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb3rsil

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hi,

Im in the middle of setting up a new 2k network, Im now up to the configuration for the networks internet connection. I have a isdn router with a static IP that is stated on the dhcp server in w2k server aswell my ISP s DNS servers as dns servers in DHCP. The problem is for some reason the clients can ping the router and the routers ip has been correctly assigned as the default gateway, I can ping the dns servers but when I try to ping say it cannot resolve the host name. What is even stranger is that if I type ipconfig /renew on the client then hey presto I can resolve a web address and get on the web, but I can having to do this periodically otherwise it will not pick up any host names! Im guessing there is some sort of time out on the dhcp server or perhaps it loses it when the isdn goes down. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one!

Amb3rsil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back