Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP / DNS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNetNewbie

Programmer
Mar 3, 2004
GB
Hi,

Im have a problem and Im not sure where to look to resolve it. The problem is as follows:

Records in DHCP do not match what is held in DNS, DHCP is correct and of course DNS is wrong, and it doesnt seem to update. As far as i can tell the problem started soon after I promoted a new server to a DC and demoted the old one....

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Have you tried:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Sarah

Do you have a DNS server? Is the DNS server being used as a/the DNS server?

Have you checked 'Administrative Tools/DNS' and checked that the records are correct?

Regards,

Pinhead.

Just a thought, was the server you demoted also your DNS server, and did you remember to make a new server the DNS server for the network?

Do not understand what you are referring to when you say the DHCP records do not agree with the DNS. These are two seperate functions/servers, so what records are you referring to? DHCP gives out IP addresses, and DNS is dynamic Name Service. DNS will update its records when ever the IP addresses log on/off the network. It sounds like you either do not have an active DNS, or it is disabled.

HTH

David

Thanks for your responces.

The server that was demoted from a DC was also the DNS server, however before it was demoted a new server was promoted and DNS was installed and configured on that server.

I know there is a difference between DHCP and DNS, but in theory they should match!

Unfortunatly there are no error messages in either the new or old server to give me any indication why DNS is not being kept up-to-date!

Thanks

D.

Are dynamic updates turned on for DNS? Check the properties of the forward lookup zone for your domain.

did you specify the IP of the new DNS server in the DHCP server configuration? Providing clients with the address of the new server.

The DHCP has the details for the new DNS server, also within DNS dynamic updates is set to "Only Secure Updates"

Not sure if that is correct or not, however the rest of my DNS servers in other locations are set to the same thing.

Thx

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back