Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP, DNS, AD, Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hey all, I know I have a lot of reading to do but I thought I would ask a few questions to get me started on the right track.

Scenario: (W2K Server)
-AD setup on server acting as DC.
-DNS setup with (Linksys router) internal IP's, Forward and Reverse lookup zones configured
-DHCP Scope setup
-Website setup in IIS and working with internal IP and external name resolution
-Using Zoneedit as DNS service

Issue:
The DHCP service assigns addresses to clients because they show up in the DHCP Lease area. But I have to manually assign IP's with the ISP's DNS servers. Otherwise I can't browse the Internet. (I haven't tried to map drives internally with this config, just knew that I couldn't get out so something must be wrong)

Questions:
-This is probably a no-brainer, but do I need to disable the router's DHCP service in order for W2K Server to asign the adresses with the proper DNS?
-I'm confused as to how my ISP's DNS addresses interact with my server. Where or how do I make the translation? (sound confused, I am :) Can someone shed some light?

Thanks

"Scientists have proven that living actually causes death."

One other thing, I just read this topic: thread950-528296

I set up my forwarder list but no luck. Still can't get out with DHCP enabled on client.

One note, I did ipconfig /all and there is no default gateway address. Is this my problem? Where do I set it up on server? Remember, my gateway is my router.

Sorry, meant to add that no DNS server IP is listed in ipconfig as well.

Ok, by adding Router and DNS Servers Scope options in DHCP, I was able to get DHCP to work on the client. There are so many Scope options, how do you learn what they all do?

Also, I did not have to disable the router's DHCP service.

:)

New issue:

Now I can't resolve my website name from the client. (I can resolve the IP though) Argh!!!!

Next, I put the internal IP address and the registered domain name in the Host file in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc directory

This resolved the website name. There's has to be another way. Anyone?

Another day:

As I was looking into the Event Viewer I noticed I had some DHCP errors on the client and Netlogon errors on the server. On the client I ran ipconfig /all and saw that the DHCP server was my router (I don't want this, I want the sever to act as DHCP. As I mentioned above, at first I didn't have to disable the router's DHCP. I may have been wrong on this (but it worked for a while until reboot). So I disabled the router's DHCP, did a release and renew and the correct IP was there.

The reason I started looking around was that I tried to add a user from the domain to the client machine ON the client machine and recieved the 'Domain does not exist' error. I made the changes mentioned in the above paragraph, rebooted and all is good again. Except for the website name resolution on the client inside the network. Anyone know why this is happening?

I think I have it figured out. I need to add a Name Server in the Scope options for DHCP. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to try it out though. I'm pretty sure this will work.

Reason being: ipconfig /all shows the external (ISP) DNS servers where it should be showing only internal. We'll see.

A little work and research seems to be paying off for you. Good Luck.

histobastifish,
you definitly must be a one-man army to be able to not only answered your own questions but also filled up the entire queu.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Experience is the Best Teacher
But its' cost is Heavy!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Update: adding the Name Server to the DHCP Scope options did not resolve my internal name lookup issue. Anyone?

Add a forward lookup in dns for the site you are running internaly and point it to your internal Ip

I already had a Forward lookup in DNS to the internal IP address.

MieMie, I'm not sure how to resolve this issue. It's not that big of a deal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back