Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP dishing out duplicate IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

maff

MIS
Jul 5, 2000
GB
Visit site
We have a two subnets separated through a router - one for Staff and one for Students. Each subnet consists of a Single Master Domain model with a PDC and three BDCs. The PDC in each subnet is configured for DHCP and WINS/DNS. <br><br>Every client in the college (PC & Macintosh through DAVE TCP/IP client software) is set up for DHCP resolution.<br><br>Despite this we have been recieving reports of IP conflicts from users in the Staff domain and have had to resort to using static addresses on these machines. This has happened with 5 different machines...<br><br>Any ideas??

HI,<br><br>Let me know the version of the service pack that you are using.<br><br>Rgds,<br>Rajalakshmi<br><A HREF="mailto:dassraji@hotmail.com">dassraji@hotmail.com</A>

Assuming you are using Service pack 3 or above, the DHCP manager has an option that allows you to Ping the address to see if it's alive before it assigns it.&nbsp;&nbsp;In DHCP Manager, under the local server properties, in the General Tab, there is an area called &quot;IP Conflict Detection&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;go ahead and check and enter how many time you want the server to test the address. <br><br>Not an explination of what is going on, but it will take care of the problem for you.<br>

check to see if all DHCP servers are using the same ranges for the i.p. address limits(wat is the start and the END i.p. address). if so then it would be possible for two or more DHCP servers to randomly assign the same i.p. address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back