Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp clients not resolved in DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdahl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2006
NO
I'm currently having problems with windows clients using dhcp trying to telnet to our aix servers and this takes from 30seconds to 2minutes before the login prompt displays. There is no problem to telnet between the aix servers. Does anyone know that this indicates a problem with DNS on windows, or could the problem be DNS on unix?

how long does it take to ping the aix servers from the windows clients? Does it take that much as well?

Did you try

telnet "hostname"

as well as

telnet "IP-Adress"

?

Is there any difference in the response time ?

Regards
Thomas

Have tried to telnet with both hostname and ip-address and it takes more than 30seconds to get the login prompt displayed.

When pinging the aix servers I get reply after a few miliseconds.

-holdahl

Hi

When You telnet from windows to AIX the AIX shall be abel to resolve the client name in DNS (or /etc/hosts).

If not the AIX login prompt "hangs" typicaly 90 sec, witch is the DNS timeout.

/HGA

Did you check under "smitty tcpip" --> Minimum Configuration if there's a dns server specified on your AIX box for the network adapter ?

the aix servers has the correct dns server for the network adapters.

-holdahl

Did you check with the network guys?

Does this happen to only one aix server or for all?

Where the aix servers located? are they located on a seprate subnet? There must be something in the routing if you say that it can resolve DNS queries!?!

Regards,
Khalid

It happens to our 4 aix servers.
It's a bit strange because last time it happend (1-2 months ago) it was ok after 1day or so.

I'll have to check about the routing.

-holdahl

I think the network administrator will be able to tell you what is going on between the two machines while trying to telnet!?!

Check the routing table on the client as well?

route PRINT (from command prompt)

Regards,
Khalid

Be sure that the default route is set under AIX ...

Hi

Are you shre, that the AIX can resolve the windows client name i dns ot /etc/hosts.

If not it will work as you say.

Check if you can do "nslookup my_win_client_name"
If not this is the problem.

IF this can do, then do an iptrace, it will show you what is wrong.

/HGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back