Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP client + Router + DHCP server (on solaris 2.6)???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,

Is there anyone can help me with this problem, many thanks inadvance!
(sorry for the long description, just want to make it clear)

***** Router does't work?? *****
ENVIROMENT:

On ultra1 solaris2.6, has 2 interfaces: hme0(primary), le0
1.hme0 is connect to ISP and configured by DHCP,it works well.
2.le0 is connect to my home-network, has 2 PC.
3.ultra1 running DHCP client,server service as well as DNS,
4.Ultra1 already disable Firewall(for easy testing)
5.the home LAN is working, they can ping each other(even all the other services, like Web...)

PROBLEM:
The problem is the PCs can not ping any outside world.

ANALYSIS:
According to the Sun documentation and observe the boot process(/etc/init.d/inetinit), when any one of the interface is set up by DHCP(already got a default router from ISP dhcp server), then this machine can not act as a router, ip_forwarding is disabled, neither in.routed nor in.rdisc was start.

But I do believe there should be a way to do this, So I force the machine to enable ip_forwarding and running in.routed -s, in.rdisc -r
this time the PC can resolve Address->IP or IP->address(all internet address)through DSN server, but when I ping outside address,always "request timeout". I "snoop -d le0" and found out that all the ICMP request can sent out to the right distination but got no answer!

QUESTION:

How can I make the router working so all the LAN PC can access Internet?

Thanks

Frank

try a proxy server ... 'squid' is good ... works fine for me, and you don't have to worry about anything about dhcp and stuff ...

Thanks, jad

I install a NAT software ( IP filter), then it works well!
It supports most of the services.

Hi Franklin,

I am having the same problem.
Did you figure out a solution?

I have a Sun Solaris 8 machine, a Win 2000 PC and a Win NT laptop on a LAN. They are hooked up to a LinkSys Router and then to a Cable Modem.

The PC and laptop can see each other and can access the internet. (I am using DHCP).

How can I get my Solaris 8 (Ultra 5) box visible to the other PCs, and possibly, get it to access the network? I tried DHCP and am not successful.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Irshad Ahmed
irshad.ahmed@lycos.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back