Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP accross 1751's

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hi guys..

I'm not lookin for a brief "Step 1,2,3" approach to providing dhcp services to satalite offices FROM MY 2K SERVER.. I've tryed reading up on it off of cisco's site but it just throws in so much mumbo jumbo crap that I get confused..

here's my network..

IP range of 10.10.2.x
10.10.3.x
10.10.4.x

Windows 2000 Server ---> Pix 515 ---> Cisco 1751 ---> Cisco 1751

I'm pretty sure I just enable the needed ports on the 515 and then use acl's to filter.. I get confused on the 1751's and how I impliment ip helper addy's.. Maybe I don't even need helpers, but any info you guys can give me is awsome!!

thanks
snooter

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Yes you will need to use a IP Helper address so that the DHCP Requests can be forwarded (broadcast--->Unicast) And looking at your diagram - your going to need to punch the holes (ACL's) to allow the unicast request to get to the DHCP Server.

If these remotes are small - why not configure the router with the "IP DHCP Pool" command let the router act as your DHCP Server for those locations.. Unless of course your looking to centrally manage the scopes then this is probably not your choice - but its easy...

Yeah.. i'm lookin for a sigle point of administration here.. When you say -punch holes with acl's- your talkin in the firewall right? If so, is that just port 68 for bootp broadcasts?

So.. here's a more detailed layout of my net, i'm just curious which IP helper's will assigned on each router..

1751 -Internal/External - 10.10.1.40 (i think it's 40 on the outside)
<------>192.168.2.2 -1751- 10.10.2.0 (subnets)
<------>192.168.3.2 -1751- 10.10.3.0
<------>192.168.4.2 -1751- 10.10.4.0

the 192's are the external side of each router.. You think I'll need acl's in each router?? hhhmm..

I wanted to show ya this, it's a IP Route from one of my satelite office 1751's -

Gateway of last resort is 192.168.2.1 to network 0.0.0.0

172.16.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets (VoIP Stuff)
C 172.16.2.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.2
10.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C 10.10.2.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.1
192.168.2.0/30 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C 192.168.2.0 is directly connected, Serial0/0.100
S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 192.168.2.1
MB-Austin-1751#

So.. I hope that's enough info.. 8)

&quot;tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt&quot; Mark Twain

&quot;I should of been a doctor..&quot; Me

So can someone tell exactly which address I need to use for Helper IP's?

What about access-lists?

I'm thinkin i'm going to just upgrade all the ios's with a version that supports the security device manager.. make it all gui for me!! :cool: I'm scared that I'll loose my configuration that's running though.. 8-(

snooter

snootalope (IS/IT--Manageme) Aug 5, 2003
So can someone tell exactly which address I need to use for Helper IP's?

ip helper-address <address of your domain controllers>

Ok.. that's taken care of, but I ran into another problem.. I found that the router is actually assigning the clients address.. well that's no big deal, I can kill that pool, but there are other pools setup for the Voip phones down there!!!

If I delete that pool of the address being assigned to the computers will the router then forward to my dhcp server or will it get hung up on the addresses for the phones??

The problem is that your router is acting as a DHCP server (for the phones) and although you can configure it with a helper-address to forward the DHCP requests the PCs are going to receive a reply from the router far quicker than the reply from your Win2k Server.

You need to either use the Win2k to assign addresses to the phones and the PCs or use the router to assign both (unless you can seperate the two types of devices with vLANs - not a simple solution).

HTH,
Michael.

It is recommended that voice be on a separate VLAN from data for a variety of reasons - security, management, QoS control...depending on the capabilities of the switches it isn't necessarily complex. Also, is it the client side router acting as the DHCP server?

Here is one example of configuring voice on a Cisco switch:

pmays
ccie#8498

Yeah, the client side router was configed to through them addresses.. I just blew away that pool and changed the helper addy to my 2k server that's 3000 miles away.. it's workin like charm now...
thanks guys..
-snooter-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back