Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCH Client and DNS fail to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrustratedLaw

Technical User
Aug 12, 2010
US
Two days ago my computer got a Win32.FakeAV virus. Since I got the virus, my DHCH client and DNS no longer "start," and I can't connect to the internet. My network status is "Identifying." My other computers connect to the internet via my router, so I am certain the router isn't the problem. I used kaspersky and a spyware removeer to remove the virus.

I contacted my ISP, Brighthouse, and after two technicians walked me through their troubleshooting steps, Brighthouse told me that the problem was with my computer and to contact the manufacturer of my computer. A technician for the manufacturer told me that my warranty had expired and that in order for her to prove me technical support I must pay a fee of $50. Not wanting to do that, I researched the issue and stumbled upon this
Refering to the guide, I used the Winsock command to delete the Winsock and Winsock2 registry files. Then I restarted amd did the second step:

Step 2: Install TCP/IP
Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click Have Disk.
Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Restart the computer.

I restarted and tried to connect to the internet, but the DCHP client never loaded. I went to the "services" menu and attempted to manually start the DCHP, and it didn't work.

I referenced the thread, "ran" regedit and manually deleted Winsock and Winsock 2. Then I restarted and again performed step 2. Restarted. Attempted to load the internet and DCHP client - No Go.

At this point I am out of options and banging my head against myt desk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you haven't already, take a look in the virus/spyware forum. If you mean by fake AV, what I think you mean, this little piece of trash-ware has earned quite a reputation there and you may find some good advice.

One thing I would recommend is to download hijack this and run the scan to capture the log. Do not attempt to fix anything yet. Post the results in the virus/spyware forum along with what you have done and tried so far. The regulars there are really good at identifying what is legit and what is not and advising on how to deal with it and I think it is safe to say that you will get a better response than "contact your computer manufacturer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back