Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DFS rootname and share name

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovs8

Technical User
Mar 15, 2004
US
I've read somewhere on ms technet that in domain-based (W2K) DFS the sharename in the UNC path \\server\share must be the same as DFS root name in \\domainame\rootname.

We have a folder-share on our W2K DC that our Accounting app. uses. I'd like to create a DFS root on this folder and I want to give this root a different name but I want to keep the existing share name as well.

I'm thinking to create a second share for the same folder (while keeping the current one) and use it as DFS root name. Would it work and would it comply with that Microsoft rule?

Thanks,
oleg

Ok guys a little of topic here. I am in DR and have DFS setup for many clients. I want to know how to get a custom report that will tell what files were replicated and size before and after replication. Or something on that line. Thanks.

You need to start a new thread.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back