Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DFS replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

patloner

Instructor
Jan 2, 2003
US
I am an MCT and saw something I had never come across today. Setting up the DFS root for the Distributed File System and then had students set up replicas of the root, and then links beneath that. Everything worked fine except that after replicas were created new folders showed up the DFS root share when connecting via UNC name. These folders were not hidden and would have been seen by everyday users connecting to the root. They had the same name as the other replicas followed by _NTFRS and a series of numbers. The only reason that this is a problem is that in a real life scenario it would be seen by end users and be very confusing. The point of DFS is to make a logical viewing of shared folders for easier access to end users. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before and knew how to fix it. Thanks ahead of time for any help you may be able to give.

Patrick Loner
MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CCNA

The only time I've ever seen this has been when the NFS has failed, corrupting it entirely. Check your server logs. I had to turn off DFS entirely, remove all of the root information, then manually remove all the DFS at the remote/secondary servers and start from scratch.

Dave

Dave, how did you remove the DFS & start from scratch? I have to do the same thing, but don't know how.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back