Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DFS-R and R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterve

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2000
NL
Hello,

I have a question about Windows 2003 R2 and the DFS-R functionality.

My domain consists of Windows 2003 SP1 domain controllers, and mostly 2003 SP1 servers.
I've recently migrated my file servers to 2003 SP2, with R2

I'm designing a DFS-R topology, but even before I've started setting things up, I've noticed a lot of errors in the event log on my fileservers (after installing the DFS-R components, that is)

Under the "DFS Replication" log, about every 8 hours, I'm getting 2 error events :
Event ID 6012, followed by Event ID 1202, both on the DFSR Source

6012:
The DFS Replication service detected an incompatible Active Directory schema version while trying to read configuration objects from server xxxx.my.test.domain.com. The service disconnected from this server and will try again in the next polling cycle.

1202:
The DFS Replication service failed to contact domain controller to access configuration information. Replication is stopped. The service will try again during the next configuration polling cycle, which will occur in 60 minutes. This event can be caused by TCP/IP connectivity, firewall, Active Directory, or DNS issues.

Additional Information:
Error: 1168 (Element not found.)

The messages seem pretty clear to me - it looks like I cannot use DFSR until I do the R2 schema update on my domain controllers...
I've tried to avoid schema updates for a long long time, but I looks like I'll have to go down that road anyhow.

People I spoke with, resources on the internet are not very clear on what to do next, so that is the reason why I'm posting this question

Given the following topology, what do I have to do to make it work :

1. forest "domain.com" (2 DC's)
child domain "test.domain.com" (2 DC's)
child domain of test.domain.com :
my.test.domain.com (4 DC's)
All of the domain controllers are running 2003 SP1

2. The file servers are part of my.test.domain.com. The file servers are running 2003 SP2, with R2

Questions :
Do I have to install R2 on one or more domain controllers ? Or do I just need to run the schema update ?
Where do I need to run the schema update ? In the root domain (domain.com) ? Or in the child child domain my.test.domain.com ?
Anything else I need to look at ?

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

First things first, have you tried updating the 2k3 server's to SP2?

are you referring to the domain controllers or to the file servers ? The fileservers are SP2
I'm not sure as to why the SP2 update would be required on the DC's for this, unless you have some information to justify the upgrade

thanks

How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?

I'm pretty sure, but not positive, you still need to extend the schema for the R2 version of DFS to work. You would use the second CD from the R2 set to do the adprep.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

ok, so do I have to run the adprep and nothing but the adprep ? Or do I need to upgrade to SP2 and do the R2 adprep ?

Do I need to run the adprep on the my.test.domain.com ? Or in the root domain (domain.com) ?

From the holder of the schema master FSMO role, and while logged in as a member of the schema admins group, run
adprep /forestprep
adprep /domainprep

and that SHOULD be all you need to do. If you have a bunch of DCs, you'll want to wait for replication to occur.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

thanks - that makes sense

do I need to run the domainprep on all 3 domains ?

would that also allow me to start setting up DC's running R2 after doing to forestprep and domainprep, or would I need to upgrade the existing DC's to R2 as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back