Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DFS problem with a single machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKNavajo

MIS
Nov 15, 2001
GB
I have implemented a DFS share across two site servers.
All users can access the share but one machine cannot.
I can see no differences with this machine to any others in the domain.
Has anyone else seen something similar?

Even if I logon to the machine as a Domain Admin, the drive maps normally but I cannot write data to anywhere on the drive.

UKNavajo
"If the evil spirit arms the tiger with claws, Brahmann provides the wings of the dove. Thus spake the super guru"

Are you mapping the drive letter to the DFS Share (\\domain.local\sharepoint)
or the actual share on the server (\\server1.local\sharepoint or \\server2.local\sharepoint)

Do you have any group policies that may apply to the machine that doesn't work? Does the machine have a different DNS server than the rest? Are you using "Sites" in AD Sites and Services (MMC) to determine the closest sharepoint?

Finally, are there event viewer entries corresponding to the problem? (if your license logging service is running, you can stop it)

Are you mapping the drive letter to the DFS Share (\\domain.local\sharepoint)
or the actual share on the server (\\server1.local\sharepoint or \\server2.local\sharepoint)

Mapping to the sharepoint

Do you have any group policies that may apply to the machine that doesn't work? Does the machine have a different DNS server than the rest? Are you using "Sites" in AD Sites and Services (MMC) to determine the closest sharepoint?

GP's are the same for all machines.
DNS will need checking although this is issued via DHCP
SITES are in use and this machine does connect to the local sharepoint it just doesn't allow write access.

Finally, are there event viewer entries corresponding to the problem? (if your license logging service is running, you can stop it)

Nothing in the Event Viewer that is obvious.
License logging needs checking too.

UKNavajo
"If the evil spirit arms the tiger with claws, Brahmann provides the wings of the dove. Thus spake the super guru"

Try creating another sharepoint on the same server but a different folder. Then create another sharepoint to the SAME folder as is published via DFS.
Try those from two different machines.

Fully scan the computer for viruses with a 3rd party virus scan utility (I usually use housecall.antivirus.com because we rarely deploy Trend).
Attempt to attach via UNC, if it works then check for a virus on the computer which is unable to connect. Be sure to clean the registry of any hooks into the Explorer open function.

Try rebooting the server to which the client is unable to connect. See if it works for a day and then stops again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back