Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DFS Management - Do i have to upgrade to R2? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFunkyChief

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2004
US
I understand that the DFS Namespace feature allows you to build folder trees and add namespace targets underneath folders without targets. I have read this is available on Windows 2003 Server SP1, but then I've also read that it's only available in R2.

In 2003 Server SP1, I do not have the option to create Namespace folders, just a root and a link.

I also only have the "Distributed File System" snapin instead of the "DFS Management" that appears to come with 2003 R2.

I don't want to upgrade to R2 just for this if it's available in SP1 with some type of add-in.

Thanks in advance!!

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

Just R2. R2 Isn't a free upgrade, it's a new product (technically speaking) with other changes to AD schema and functionality.

DFS works fine in SP1, however for new toys and functionality then it's going to be R2. (obviously if there's bugs in SP1 MS will fix them free!)

Good Luck,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Ah ha. I might have to bite the bullet and move to R2. Though I'm wondering if it's worth the move to R2, when Longhorn is around the corner? I'm surprised they would come out with a new OS like that right before Longhorn.

Thanks for the advice!

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back