Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DFS - how can i prevent clients from accessing the replicated share

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowweb

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
PH
I have set up DFS to replicate a share called "Auto" on a server called "HAL"

The share is replicated to a server called "Jess" in the same domain which is called "office"

Ideally, clients would only be directed to Jess in the event that HAL was unreachable but I can't figure out how to configure this?

If this is not possible, I would like to continue replicating the share but only allow clients to access the share on HAL at all times. Is this possible?

If neither of the above are feasible, then I need stop DFS but I have lots of clients accessing the share using the path "\\office\auto" which is also mapped to their "M drives". It would appear that I have to delete the root in this scenario but if I do this then "\\office\auto" would cease to be available. Can anyone help please?

This is urgent because we are currently running Goldmine on this share which seems to be losing some users updates in the current configuration!

Thanks for you time, peter

If you only want them to connect to HAL, you'll need to remap their drives to \\HAL\auto. You dont have to make any changes to DFS for this to work. However, they won't automatically fail over to the other server if HAL goes down. You can't have your cake and eat it too :)

My question is why do you want them to only connect to one server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back