Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DF -k wrong info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juggers

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2000
SA
Hi all,

Just a small thing I am using Solaris 2.6 when running a df -k i get partition usage of 54% while the application tells me that there is no space left on device. How can I check what is the real space left on that partition?

Regards

time is the father of truth

Which application? Is there anything in /var/adm/messages to indicate that the filesystem is full?

Sometimes a process holds on to space after a file is deleted - I don't know of a way to detect this - try a reboot if possible, otherwise it often clears itself. You can also try logging out or stopping (or killing) unwanted processes.

If a process is holding on to the space it should still show as full in df. I suspect that a process was using the space, ran out of space and abended, and the space was freed up by the time you had a chance to look? Of course, if it's still saying that there is no free space then my guess is wrong.

Annihilannic.

what does
# du -sk <directory>
report?

please check

There are 3 reasons why du and df can show different answers:

1. Inconsistent fileystem requiring fsck(1m).
2. Process with open file which does not exist in filesystem.
3. Mount point directory contains data.

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back