Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dex.ini file for Version 10.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

donutman

Programmer
Dec 20, 2002
US
I'm new to Great Plaines. I'm trying to learn what tables are effected when various transactions are performed. I've read from another thread that the dex.ini file can be modified to create a SQL log file. I've also read that version 10.0 may not support this feature.
My question is rather basic. Where do I find the dex.ini file (server or workstation) and will this work for version 10.0?
Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

The Dex.ini file is under the Data folder in your GP 10.0 install folder. So the default location would be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics\GP\Data\. Yes, creating a SQL log file will work with any Dynamics GP version. Good luck wading through the results in the logs, make sure you have lots of coffee and donuts on hand. :)

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2010
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Thanks Victoria! I guess the next question is where I can expect to find the log file - same directory? Also do I need to change the flag to TRUE for all 3 of these?

SQLLogSQLStmt=FALSE
SQLLogODBCMessages=FALSE
SQLLogAllODBCMessages=FALSE
Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]

Karl,

You can skip the last one and just do the first 2. You can specify the path of the file on a separate line (SQLLogPath=path) or it will be put into that Data directory where the Dex.ini file is.

Victoria Yudin
blog:

Hi Victoria,
Once again, you've provided excellent help. In your first response you eluded to the possibility of getting inundated with too much detail. My intention is to have the user go directly to the activity I want to analyze, perform it and exit. If that process in itself will generate copious calls to SQL, then it would be "nice" if I could have the user place a "bookmark" in the SQL log by performing some identifiable operation just before and just after the activity that I'm interested in examining. That way I could isolate that part of the SQL log file and avoid eating too many donuts while I work! Is there a "bookmark" that I could generate?
Karl

Karl,

The only thing that comes close is to have the user log in and perform all the 'preliminary' tasks, like opening the window, being up the transaction, etc, deleting the DEXSQL.LOG file (or moving it elsewhere), then asking the user to resume their process. A blank log file will be recreated automatically and start logging again.

However, even with this, I would expect a lot of data. For example, I just tested posting 1 SOP transaction and I deleted the file right before clicking Post. The file is 11 pages...

Victoria Yudin
blog:

Yuck! It's no wonder why MS OS computers run so slow even with the unbelievably fast processors we now have. Why doesn't MS know how to write efficient code?
Karl

Hi Karl

Use the Support Debugging Tool.

Then you can turn on and off SQL logging, Dexterity Script Logging and Dexterity Script Profiling at any time from inside the application without having to exit or change dex.ini settings.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

mailto:David dot Musgrave at microsoft dot com

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back