Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Devices pairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiacgam

Technical User
Jun 23, 2009
GM

When you want to pair up Desktop and Mobile Softphones where the Desktop calls route to the PSTN SIP trunks and the Mobile Calls via the Internet, how are calls routed to both the devices to ring simultaneously.

a) Is the routing handled by the router or Firewall through separate Ports

b) should it be configured at ISP Firewall or the Customer Firewall

b) do you need to assign separate Public Addresses for the SIP Trunk and Internet Gateway

b) do you need an SBC ( session border controller) installed

There are different types of pairing.

One is via bluetooth and only works if the phone and desktop are in close proximity

The one I think you mean is better called twinning. In this case, when a call rings the desktop, a second outbound call is initiated by the PBX (typically). The 2 calls in progress have nothing to do with each other and very little needs to be done on the local firewall (if SIP) to allow the external leg to answer the call. Once the call is established, there are 2 active legs, one inbound and one outbound that are conferenced together. If the trunking type is PRI, and more specifically NI-2 or compatible, there is an option for release link trunking where the PSTN can be signalled to conference the 2 channels at the central office and free up ALL channels to/from the PBX. When I last worked with SIP trunking, it did not have equivalent options for release link functions.

Things get more complicated when you start utilizing the Softphone capabilities as far as required hardware and software requirements are concerned but the softphone side of the call typically would utilize the internet connection for the voice network. This method only uses 1 channel for the inbound SIP/PRI. It is very important however with SIP that the gateway used for the SIP connection and the Gateway used for the internet connection be the same point or you will most definitely have 1 way or no way audio issues.

Thats the 5 mile overview. If you need more granular answers, tell us more specifics on the method your using, the hardware installed/available, the software levels of each component, the type of trunking and maybe even the vendor providing the trunking. You know, like everything.

Many thanks KwbMitel, I have been a long time follower of your threads and find them helpful.

Herewith below are more details as per your thread above:

The PBX is Mitel SMB Controller using Mobility Software App (MOMA)

The SIP trunk terminates on the ITSP's Huawei Softswitch is:
Huawei Softswitch: SoftX3000

The question is what needs to be configured ? Router, Firewall , Huawei SoftSwitch ??

The reason I consider it to be "pairing" because they share the same extension number.

Im sorry, I am not familiar with MOMA. Can someone advise if this is just a newer term for the MiTel Softphone?

Hi KWB

i think its related to mivoice office
some sort of interface similar to micollab

zodiacgam

this is an example of not leading your post with the pabx type and software level
I also cant help as i dont know much about mivoice office

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

@zodiacgam, I don't believe this is possible for MOMA/MOWA. I don't think it can even be done for users with multiple terminals in the MiVO400 where you can route a call from a particular trunk to a specific terminal of that user.

But if you find a way, it would be cool to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back