Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Devices & Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
Windows 7 / HP ENVY 5530 / WordPerfect 12:

1. In Devices & Printers, I have only the 5530 showing / default printer
2. When I send something to print from WP12, it correctly shows designated printer as ENVY 5530
3. However, in the WP drop-down list an ENVY 5000 Series shows up; attempting to choose it results in a pop-up informing that that "printer is unavailable"; when I originally connected the 5530, the 5530 designation was not included in the options, so I chose 5000 Series instead
4. I went to D&P, removed all printer designations and started over, resulting in the 5530 loading and operating properly
5. Back to D&P, however, the 5000 Series showed up and it has occasionally screwed up print jobs
5. I have repeatedly deleted it in D&P; why does it reappear, even though I delete it?

Appreciate any expertise shared.

Best guess, old registry entries tied to the initial install when it was installed incorrectly. In this situation, I would uninstall completely and unplug the printer if connected locally. Run CCleaner on the registry and remove all entries it can find. Once that is complete I would manually go into the registry and check the Printers section of HKEY_CU and remove entries tied to that instance. Then run the install again and see if it holds true.

Any funky printer issue similar to this I have been able to rectify with this method. Granted, you likely don't have to use CCleaner and could manually hunt and search for all related reg entries but it is easier....

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Thanks! CCCleaner is my usual; did go into HKEY-CU and deleted the imposters; everything seems to be well with God & humanity now . . . or at least with the 5530.

Appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back