Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device will not start (Code 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackiechan

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2005
US
Hello.
I am using an external hard drive borrowed from a friend who is now out of the country. My PnP recognized it immidiatley and loaded the driver. However, it does not show up as a drive and under the device manager it tells me that the "Device will not sart (Code 10)". I uninstalled the driver and found it again through hardware setup but to no avail, the same issue happens. I can find no Windows updates nor any useful information off Google. It appears to be made by a company of the name of Creative I/O. They do not have a website to my knowledge so no luck there. I would like to try an older driver but have no idea where to find one. Any thoughts/ideas?
Thank you kindly!

Can you open the box and see what make hard drive is in it?
Is the box itself connected via firewire\usb\parallel? What os are you running?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Garebo,
Thanks for your response.
It is a Western Digital WD1200 Enhanced IDE 120GB.
I am running Windows XP Home Edition and the hard drive is connected via a usb port.
Thanks again for any assistance/thoughts.

Im not sure what you mean by driver as win xp doesnt need a driver, unless you mean a usb2.0 driver, and they come with win xp SP1 so if you have sp1 installed you are all set for usb2.0
What driver are you talking about? A program that came with the drive?

Anyway, first thing to do is go to western digital and look up the jumper info for that certain h drive and print a copy of it.
While you are there you can download the diagnostic program for western digital hard drives as well. I think that eventually it goes onto a floppy drive but you can download or print instructions. If my instructions differ from theirs, go with theirs,lol!!

Then, can you take the drive out of the case? Should be no problem doing that and then you can see your jumper info and slave it onto your primary or secondary ide cable on your computer. But not as master, as slave. If you have an 80 pin cable then you need to put this drive on the middle connector on the cable. If 40 pin then it doesnt matter, but then again a drive that size may only work on 80 pin, they vary in that area!
Also, western digital is funny, it has one jumper setting for slave with a western digital h drive as master and another jumper setting for western digital as slave with, say, a maxtor or other brand h drive!
If you could try this in your computer, fine, or even better would be in another computer.
Hope i havent confused you. One more thing, remember where the jumper was when you started. Its supposed to be on master when in the usb box but try and remember where it was, just in case.

The plan is to see if we can get that h drive recognized in the bios and then in windows and maybe formatted. I say that as I had better ask if there is any data on that drive, dont want to have you format it and find out your friend had data on it! One step at a time here.

Now i dont know you, so please dont think i am being stupid here but i have to check on this. There is an on\off switch on the usb box that the h drive came in, just wanna make sure you know that and had it turned on. Most do have a switch on front or back that you have to turn on.

The other thing is that it could be that you are running NTFS in windows xp and the drive is FAT32, so that could have caused a problem, not saying for sure it did. Matter of fact, win xp should see the drive in fat or NTFS.
Either way it wont harm the h drive or case!

Lets try getting the drive recognized by the bios and windows first, but i did get this from google:

Im not sure that this applies to this case or not, just thought i would point it out.

One thing i forgot to mention. If you can get that drive slaved and recognized by the bios and windows, then you can run the western digital diagnostics on it.
Also, and i should have talked about that first, sometimes these drives show up in different areas of device mgr and in different ways in "my computer" Some external firewire show up as scsi for instance, and some usb show up with a drive letter, but dont exactly look like a hard drive. But if you take the drive out of the box and slave it, then it should show up as a plain hard drive, same as c drive.

Garebo,
Thanks for the info. I will check with Western Digital and on the link you supplied. I should have given a little more information and I apologize for not doing so. Yes I knew of the power button and there is no question to stupid when you don't know who you are dealing with. I work a help desk so I know this well. I had tried to slave the drive just after my first post and no luck. The power cable is hot glued into the box it appears and as it is not my drive, (I have it only to get the information off that is on it) I was a little apprehensive to pry it off so I was hoping to find another way around it. I also tried using the powers source of the box by leaving the power plugged into the box and the wall and the drive cable in my ide cable on my pc. Again, no luck. Thanks a ton for your help.

Well, we can still try and help you out with the drive in the box.
Mainegeek has pointed the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back