Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

device proxy, serial port spy

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkhandle

Programmer
Oct 21, 2007
SI
How could I proxy IO data (or even control data) from one to another device transparently?

I need to spy traffic on serial port:

linux application <-> proxy device (writes all IO data to file besides proxying) <-> serial device (/dev/ttyS0)

I searched on inet, found nothing like this. What could be done? To write device driver, that just proxies data to/from target device ? Any easier solution ?

BR

Thanks for answer, but I already tried all those 3, but these do not do what I want. jpnevulator and ttylog are just end applications that read/write from serial port ,they are not really spies. And Snooper is not usable for me, cause I only have one port.

Are you looking for info going BOTH ways to be "copied"? That's difficult, because something would need to play traffic cop. Things could easily get out of wack (pc hearing an "I'm done" type response multiple times, etc).

If you had a rcv only serial devices and wanted to clone info coming from machine to them, you could do that! I would recommend making a special cable where you matched the pins (serial pigtail type).

If you wanted a software way of doing this, you could make a pipe device. Then create a c program (or whatever other language) that reads from the pipe and sends it to multiple serial devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back