Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device not nul terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilltek

Programmer
Mar 8, 2001
PH
I'm running XP pro with a cable modem for the web but I have kept my NetComm Wave modem hooked up for faxes etc.
My problem is that if I try to dial out with Sidekick 98 I get a (what looks like a Windows) message "DEVICE IS NOT NUL TERMINATED".
Winfax 10 dials OK.
I have posed this problem in the Sidekick forum but two weeks later, no answer.
Can anyone give me a lead here.

Is there no "Guru" here that can give me a hint. I can't have the only system in the world to throw up this message.
Ken F

The only time I've seen this message is in regards to a SCSI device not being terminated which doesn't seem to be a solution for you unless something in your software or hardware is looking for some scsi device.

Have you physically removed the dial-up modem, deleted the driver, restart once, and after shutdown, reinstalled the modem, and let XP find and prompt you to reload modem software. I'm only suggesting this in hopes of resolving a possible conflict in software. Also, have you tried using the dial-up modem 'without' SideKick? Again, I'm trying to isolate whether the problem is with SideKick or with some conflict related to the modem...

Thanks Thaya1088, I'll try a reinstall.
Windows XP fax and WinFax 10 both work.

I have solved the problem by installing my Netcomm Wave 56sp as a generic 56k modem.
I went through hours of reboots, installs etc etc. before I tried this generic install.
In the end I realized, if Netcomm don't have a XP driver 12 months after XP was launched, then they can't do it.
Wouldn't it be nice if these companies were ase helpful after the sale as when the cash changes hands.
Thanks to all that helped.
Ken F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back