Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device Manager Code 10 on IDE and other devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2003
US
System: ME

machine: HP Kayak XA

Secondary IDE master
CD-ROM: CDU611-H (sony brand I guess after googling it)

Secondary IDE slave
CD-ROM: HP CD writer plus (rewritable)

Under device manager. I have yellow exclamation marks and code 10 message on all my devices (IDE, 3.5 floppy, etc.) and I cannot use my 2 CD-ROMs. Please help and list links if I need to download driver files.

What puzzled me also is that "isn't primary IDE my hard drive?" Even with the error, I am able to boot and access the hard drive with no problem. Same with floppy, I can use it but it has a code 10 in device manager.

THX

================

Primary IDE controller (dual info)
* Driver detail:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\ESDP_506.pdr
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (IOS.vxd)
* Auto driver search result location:
C:\WINDOWS\INF\MSHDC.INF

Secondary IDE controller (dual info)
* Driver detail:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\ESDP_506.pdr
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (IOS.vxd)
* Auto driver search result location:
C:\WINDOWS\INF\MSHDC.INF

You might try going to safe mode, removing the devices from device manager, plus any duplicates, and reboot, let windows redetect everything.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Matt J,

Thanks. Tried it and did not work.

In between, I downloaded the Sony Drivers for the secondary IDE master CD-ROM. Still nothing.

Is it time to give in and just FDISK and re-install ME?

What changes have been made recently? Have you tried system restore?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Matt J,

I am pretty sure my problem is caused by myself. Cannot not do RESTORE - because I turned it off a long time ago. Also, I've conducted messive anti-spyware actvities including manually deleting register entries, files under Windows, Program, etc. (Sometimes, I don't even know what I was deleting....Bold and Daring!....and paying the price now...)

However, I did not realize it is this difficult to recover CD-ROMs.

I've got the suggestions from another forum that I should wipe everything and reinstall the entire OS. (However, I double that will work...) What do you say?

No, actually I agree that will work. If the problem happened right after the work you did, and the work was removing files and registry entries from windows, then that is not going to permanently affect you computer in this way, it simply has affected your installation of windows.

I agree 100% with the other advice, based on what you are telling me now, backup all data, format, then install a fresh copy of windows. Install your drivers, and all devices in device manager should appear fine again.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back