Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Device I/O error while trying to write to tape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean2002

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2002
CA
Below is a problem I'm currently having. The drive is a sony std7000 4gb/8gb external. The drive is a refurbed unit and seems to perform erase, retenstion, catalog and inventory functions ok, but backup jobs crash with the error below. The media is brand new. I have tried just about EVERYTHING and still can't solve the problem. I have updated my scsi card drivers, installed segates tape drivers, tried different scsi cables.

I have seen some related posts in this forum and have tried the suggested solutions but none of which have solved the problem.

Your assistance is GREATLY appriciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Dean

======================================================================
Job Operation - Backup
Media operation - overwrite.
Hardware compression enabled.

Media Name: "Media created 3/10/2002 09:59:35 PM"
Backup of "C: "
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Backup 0008"
Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 3/10/2002 at 9:59:56 PM.

Storage device "SONY 2" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Backup completed on 3/10/2002 at 10:00:51 PM.
Backed up 5 files in 2 directories.
Processed 17,458,371 bytes in 55 seconds.
Throughput rate: 18.2 MB/min
------------------------------------------------------------============================================================
Job ended: Sunday, March 10, 2002 at 10:01:13 PM
Job completion status: Failed

I just wanted to add something to the first post.

On the same machine using retrospect, I was able to do a complete backup 1st attempt. This lead me to believe that the problem was infact directly related to Backup Exec. I have since put it back on our backup server ( which also uses BE, but a different version ) and the drive had a successfull backup 1st attempt again.

Any ideas on what configuration could be wrong on my PC?

Thanks

I am currently having the same exact problem. It is on a much larger scale, using backup exec on a Storage Area Network runnning w2k and using a Scalar 1000.

Have you found any information on this.

I have support from backup exec and all they will say is that it is a general windows error.

Any info would be helpful

bkeplinger@comdt.uscg.mil

I would like to first say the BE support seems to be very limited. I wouldn't say that the I/O error is a general windows error, reason being if you try another peice of BU software I would like that you wouldn't have this same problem.

I'll let you know if I find anything and I would appriciate you do likewise.

Thanks

We were having the same problem and seem to have solved it with this information

In the SCSI bios we set Initiate Wide Negotiation to off, and dropped the Maximum Sync Transfer Rate to 5.

We had tried the other fixes before this with no luck. Making these changes seems to have slowed the backup minimally.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back