Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Developing Profit and Loss Account in Impromptu

Status
Not open for further replies.

srf

MIS
Dec 4, 2003
GB
As a new user to Impromptu I am struggling to develop a Profit and Loss Account in Impromptu.

The format is as follows :
Mth 1 Mth 2 Mth 3 Mth 4
Sales
Int Sales 10
Ext Sales 20
Other Sales 20

Total Sales 50

The problem is that a grouped cross-tab does not allow you to define groups. For example, Sales group consists of all Account Codes beginning with 40.

Can you define your own groups in a simple cross-tab ?

Am I goinf in right direction using a cross-tab for developing Accounts Reports in Cognos

srf,

I generally do not use a crosstab for P&L reporting. You generally have one of two situations: Either Sales is in a negative value (as in General Ledger) and you have to present it as a postive (custom style application), but the net income carries down properly, as you can aggregate sales against expenses naturally (debits and credits), or

All data is presented as positives, and you have to do conditional math between the classifications (revenue vs expense) to get net income.

In either case, the restrictions required for a crosstab report get in the way. Unless the data is staged with the math already done, a grouped list report is the way to go.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back