Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEVELOPING/DISTRIBUTING DATABASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

subroman

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
US
We have created our database system unique to our industry and made improvements/refinements. We now find it may have interest in and possibly a limited market in our industry. We wish to look into distibuting it. In contacting Corel on the web site I note they have different developer levels. The second level "Platinum" includes licenses and notes Royalty free distributable runtime. What is runtime? There must be a advantage to having distributable runtime. Would it be more advantageous to select the platinum level as opposed to standard membership? Do most developers sell the database and have the customer purchase Paradox separately? This is my first foray into licensing so I am definately a neophyte. Thanks

Subroman,

First off, Corel's documentation on their developer levels may be out of date. It reflects a program that was put into place during the development of Paradox 9, so I'd contact their sales office to see if it still exists.

Now, Paradox Runtime is a stripped down version of Paradox with some functions disabled. It's designed to let developers give Paradox functionality and applications to other users. Your users install Runtime and then install your application. As long as you're not doing anything that requires the disabled functions, everything works just like it does with native Paradox.

Because Corel chose not to create a separate SKU for Paradox v10, they dediced to include Runtime with WPO 2002/Pro. If you've upgraded to that version, then you already have a Runtime license. (In previous versions of the program, Runtime was always a separate purchase and ran somewhere between three to five times the cost of Paradox itself.)

Initially, Runtime v10 wasn't ready for the WPO install disks, so it was made available for download from Corel's web site.
Some developers do indeed require their customers to purchase at least one Paradox license, especially if there are a number of users at the client's site. This gives the developer a contact at the client's site for support purposes for things like table corruption, index regeneration, and so on.

It all depends on the price of your product and how many people you think will be using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back