Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Developing critical thinking 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoratti

Technical User
Aug 11, 2005
US
What are some of the methods that you use for critical thought when it relates to IT and troubleshooting, planning, etc, etc?

I am working on my critical thinking when it comes to troubleshooting various network problems, and situations on Active Directory where you really need to be sharp with your skills.

Sometimes I feel that I dont think outside the box when I go about solving IT problems. I have my days when Im sharp as a tac I have a difficult time staying motivated b/c Im not in a work environment where I have to be sharp all the time.

I want to stay on top of my craft. I study all the time, and keep abreast of all the latest IT related happenings. I think I might take a course at the local Univ. for critical thinking. Sometimes I think I only use part of my brain, and I need to be thinking at all times.

Learning new skills is supposed to keep the grey matter in good nick - perhaps something that is not so work orientated like competitive Duplicate Bridge. Also physical exercise to keep the blood flowing - Karate or Dancing perhaps.

Frankly, I think you are either a problem solver or not. Best way to solve any problem: break it down to simple pieces.
It is like troubleshooting old 10b2. Split the network in 1/2. one 1/2 will work, the other won't. split the non-working part in 1/2. etc. etc.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

I always start with the basics: questions.
"was the network working earlier today?"
"Were there any changes made to the network by myself or someone else? "
"If someone else did change it, what did they do?"
"If someone did not change it, does the network effect everyone?" etc....

My way make take a little more time, but I view it as covering all the easiest resolutions first before ripping apart a physical network.

Also, SteveGlo has a point. If you're looking to learn how to think outside of the box, get another hobby that doesn't involve computers too much and is somewhat active. I've always found it easier to resolve a difficult issue when your mind isn't always on it.

Exactly, I was thinking chess, or some other hobby that stimulates the brain.

Answering questions for stars stimulates the brain...

/just sayin'

LadySlinger,
After all your questions are answered "no" except the last, you then start my method.
In 10b2, if there is a network problem it effects everyone. You are proably too young to remember 10b2 :)

BocaBurger

Boca -
I've heard of it Computer History Class (LOL j/k). Its still mentioned in Networking classes though, if it helps.

One of the best things you can do is have a variety of hobbies and things to do. You said you study all the time and keep up on all IT related things.

Don't be one dimensional. Many technical people only do technical which is a bad thing to do. I have a lot of technical books that I have purchased, but they are only references. I couldn't sit and read a technical book cover to cover.

Attributes of a critical thinker:

* asks pertinent questions
* assesses statements and arguments
* is able to admit a lack of understanding or information
* has a sense of curiosity
* is interested in finding new solutions
* is able to clearly define a set of criteria for analyzing ideas
* is willing to examine beliefs, assumptions, and opinions and weigh them against facts
* listens carefully to others and is able to give feedback
* sees that critical thinking is a lifelong process of self-assessment
* suspends judgment until all facts have been gathered and considered
* looks for evidence to support assumption and beliefs
* is able to adjust opinions when new facts are found
* looks for proof
* examines problems closely
* is able to reject information that is incorrect or irrelevant

solve puzzles - I've lately become addicted to Sudoku, but before that I would work on logic puzzle, crosswords, even simple word seek games.

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for anyone working with databases: The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

I was going to offer the same advice that lespaul gave. I love Sudoku and logic puzzles, and they keep the mind stimulated.

Poker can also be fun, while pushing your mind to analyze your current situation. There are several ways you can play for free if it suits you.

I would say that your outside activity probably *shouldn't* be something like mind puzzles. Instead, I would suggest something that involves physical activity -- jogging, mountain bike riding, rock climbing.

My reasoning is that the body supports the mind, and if your body is out of shape, the brain has a tougher time doing it's job.

Chip H.

And Spoonerisms will? Next you will start with the puns...
and we will need to disconnect your Ethernet cable.

I have been training / practicing martil arts since I was 12 years old. Don't know if it helps with my IT skills, but it sure keeps my coworker from arguing with me :)

BocaBurger

Try mentoring youth. That will get you to think outside the box. Give you a sense of contribution in life, stimulate your people skills. Most tech people need that. Also, dealing with youth, or children makes you think outside your normal box, and it can pay you back in ways that stop the little things from bothering you.
Also, it is fun, I have been doing it for 20 years, and I love it. It can help you learn to see things more in the perception of a childs eye, that will change your perspective, and get you thinking about things in different ways.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

When more physically active, my thinking skills are better. Having a variety of life experiance will improve your critical thinking skills. A few years ago I started helping out the local Kiwanis club on there trian ride. Learned a lot about shoveling gravel, and laying 30lbs/ft train trak. Since then I have seen a marked improvement in critical thinking during the summer time. I am looking for a new winter project that is both physical and mental.
Remember that your mind is part of your body, as all parts of your body, the more ways you push the body will react by becomming stronger/more flexible. Learn new things from scratch. Juggling, karte, yoga. Think strength and flexibility those are the things your brain needs when tackeling difficult problems. Adapting to new information is key.
all this from a recovering Sudoku addict.

if it is to be it's up to me

Try to solve problem in daily life. Do the work you will not do in normal day and you may find a new way of thinking or solving problem. You can do the new stuffs slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back