Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining tape drive type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qman61832

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
How do I go about finding the drive type located in my Unix box?
I need to apply a software update from a tape and (being new to Unix...) I am not sure how to identify the tape drive.

The instructions from the software vendor state that I should run a command of &quot;tar xvf <tape_device>&quot;, however I dont know what the tape drive is or how to find it...

Is there a Unix command that will show me?

Thanks!

If you are using Sco OpenServer the device name is /dev/rct0.
You can use tar xv8 and if you take a look at the file /etc/default/tar you will see that number 8 is /dev/rct0

I Hope this can help

If you login as root and look at the file /usr/adm/messages you should see a list of the hardware that is recognized.
JGV is mostly correct, the device rct0 leads to whatever the real device is. Provided it linked correctly.
You might also want to look in the /etc/default/tar file and make sure that the #8 entry really is the tape device. There are some unix people that edit this file to cripple things that lead to errors. Line is crippled with a # at the beginning. And if it is tape device, it will have a &quot;y&quot;.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back