Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining parent object exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailadmin

Technical User
May 31, 2002
NL
Hi all,

Recently we reinstalled our Exchange 2003 server because the initial install was the advanced version of the product and we did not need the extra functionality of this version.

Since this reinstall I noticed there are two unknown SIDs in the permissions list of our Exchange 2003 server, probably because the enginmeer who reinstalled the system also deleted and recreated the service accounts. Since I like clean, secure systems, I tried to delete these entries on the server object. However the permissions of the two unknown accounts are inherited from the parent object.

Problem is; I don't know what the parent object is. Untill now I sweeped the AD to pinpoint the correct object and delete the unknown SID's but no luck so far.

Is there anyone who knows what the parent object of an Exhange 2003 server is and where I can find it in AD or the Exhange System Manager?

Hi again,

I just couldn't take it that those two unknown SID's being there without me be able to do anything about it. So after my lunch I started searching again this time with use of the ADSIEDIT util.

And what do you know... I found it... Off-course I forgot checking one element of the AD because it isn't shown in standard configuration.

I'm talking about the services in de AD sites & services management console. After I found it with ADSIEDIT it was an easy job to eliminate the two SID's.

Call me stupid... I deserve it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back