Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining daily trunk group % usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

navy1

Programmer
Dec 29, 2005
US
Is there a formula to calculate % usage on a trunk group. Example: Trunk Group has 140 lines, carries avg 2400 calls per day. I know avg hold time, etc factors in but in this instance do not want to factor anything in except the # of lines and # of calls carried in a day. Need to determine ballpark % usage on trunk group on a daily basis. Any info appreciated. Thanks

Peg counts are useless, what you need are call seconds

One standard value is CCS - Centum Call Seconds. In traffic engineering, hundred (centum) call seconds. One hour contains 3600 call seconds (60 seconds times 60 minutes), or 36 CCS.

Lets say for the sake of argument that each call was exactly 5 minutes long and that the 2400 calls were over a period of 8 hours

300 calls / hour * 300 seconds / call = 9000 call seconds for the group/ hour

140 trunks * 3600 seconds = 504000 call seconds of availability

9000 / 504000 * 36 = .64285 CCS for the trunk group

You then get into grades of service. This determines the average amount of time that no trunks are available for processing calls. Typically measured during peek traffic hours

P1 grade of service says that 1% of the time all trunks are in use - This is considered good
- With your average of 300 calls per hour, let's say that peaks at 600 in your busiest hour
- For a P1 grade of service, all of your trunks would need to be in use for a total of about 36 seconds during the hour
- If all of your trunks were in use for 36 seconds you would consume 5040 call seconds
- considering your average complete hour only has 9000 seconds of usage (based on 5 minute call durations which might be high for all I know), I would say with some confidence that you have way too many lines.

You have too many trunks my friend.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back