Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determined, Decided or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
Review of the previous report decided (determined) that the following actions should be taken in future..."

Suggestions/recommendations?

Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

Neither.

"Based on review of the previous report, we decided to...."

Or

"The previous report determined....

If you ask Grammarly, it'll criticize passive voice.

I think avoiding passive voice is highly overrated. It has its purpose, doesn't it?

But in this case, active voice is better to stress out that persons and not the report concluded, what's ideal. Even if the needed actions just became clear from the summary of all the facts in that report. It's still the persons putting the report together, and not the report or it's still the persons that interpret the report, who decide future actions.

So I second mintjulep's first suggestion. "We" depends on who's involved in creating the report, interpreting the report and now summarizing the decisions made, of course.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Thanks guys... I settled on
"Based on a review of the previous Report, the Big Boss decided that..."
Much better [bigsmile]

Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

Grand Poobah

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

Olaf Doschke said:
If you ask Grammarly, it'll criticize passive voice.
So will English teachers! ;-)

"Based on a review of the previous Report, this august, supreme, high and might council has decided that..."

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Maybe Grammarly was made by English teachers.

By the way, I have no affiliation to it, but I use it and like it very much. Weekly status reports always tell me I'm "more accurate than ~20%".
While that's a blatant euphemism of how bad I need the corrections it makes, I know my money is spent well to make a better impression.

In other words: "Based on the review of weekly reports, I regularly decide to stay with it."

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

This might be more accurate...

"Whether he read the previous Report or not, the Big Boss decided that..."

@Sambones, that would be by "decree"

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back