Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determine Network Traffic on Openserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

clegg

Programmer
Jan 25, 2001
GB
I've got a customer who has to reboot his Unix (Sco Openserver) box every 3-4 days because his machine keeps falling over with out of streams messages.

If you do a netstat -m, you can see the figures building up continually over time. I have done some searching on the net and everything I've found seems to point to either a dodgy network card or increased network traffic.

Is there a simple way of monitoring the network traffic that is being aimed at this Unix box?? Its seems you can't do a snoop or tcpdump on Openserver!

Any help would be appreciated.

Clegg

Which version of OSR (do uname -v)?
Which patches applied (do custom) ?
5.0.5 is known to have streams issues.

uname -v = OSR version is 5.0.5

custom = not found!

any clues?

make sure you are running as root when trying to run custom, otherwise try swconfig.

under netstat -m is there anything in the fail column?

On 5.0.5 it's strongly recommended to have rs505a and oss497c applied. As root, do a
Code:
 swconfig -P
to list all the patch applied on your system.
The official URL for SCO OSR pathes is:
ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/

Hope This Help
PH.

I have the exact same problem on my SCO server with 5.0.5. Streams keep being created and not released. I have to reboot every 2-3 weeks or the system will eventually lock up all TCP/IP opreations. On mine it is due to a bug in SCO that shows up when running Samba. The answer is Samba 3.0 which hopefully is due out soon. You can find more on this in google - search Samba SCO streams.

- Loops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back