Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

detection WINDOWS NT4 on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpar

Technical User
Dec 9, 2003
FR
Hello,
Do you know how to detect if there are still WINDOWS NT4 on a network composed of numerous windows boxes?

Although a port scanning tool like NMAP, Superscan or others can tell you if a particular host is a Windows host, I don't know if they get that granular in identifying the version. I would suspect that only Windows NT 4 would be one that doesn't support SMB over TCP on port 445 which would separate it from Win2K and above versions of Windows.
Also bare in mind that these tools may not work if firewalls are in place as they will most likely filter protocol scanning ICMP packets

Are you on a domain and do you have a Windows Server 2003? If so, try Server Manager. It's a free Microsoft download. II haven't used it for at least 2 years but if memory serves me correctly it shows NT 4.0 boxes as Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 boxes as Windows 5.0, and Windows XP boxes as Windows 5.1.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back