Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detecting USB device getting plugged in. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PockyBum522

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
US
Here's what I want to do:

Detect the plugging in of my generic USB bluetooth dongle and automatically run my bluetooth manager (bluesoleil is the name of the program) when it is plugged in. Is there a way to do this?

So far the only way I've figured is I think hardware info is stored in the registry, and I need to research where and how I can use this, but I'd like a more direct method (Windows api) or something, if possible.

Add a SysInfo control to your form, and investigate the DeviceArrival event

Okay, I'm not sure how to use this. I've added the sysinfo control and I've tried both:

Private Sub SysInfo1_DeviceArrival()
Label1.Caption = "Moof"
End Sub

Which never does anything (Even if I plug in a device)

And a timer that changes label1.caption to whatever sysinfo1.devicearrival

Which gives me: "Method or data member not found"

Please help me, and thank you for your help so far.

Hmm, interesting, you are right: certainly works for USB keyfobs ... but it doesn't work for my iPAQ

Hmm, well thanks for your help. Let's see if I can detect a PCMCIA card with it. Why am I getting a "method or data member not found" When I run this:

Label1.Caption = SysInfo1.DeviceArrival

That's because SysInfo1.DeviceArrival is an event not a method. If I use the event:
Code:
Private Sub SysInfo1_DeviceArrival()
Msgbox = "New device"
End Sub
I get a message box for my memory stick, but not for my USB printer.

Which is what I was afraid of. Neither my bluetooth usb key is detected, or my PCMCIA card. That's annoying, although I managed to find a key in the registry I can read to see if the bluetooth key is plugged in, I can't figure out how to detect my WiFi card :(

I got it to detect my PCMCIA card with:

Private Sub SysInfo1_DeviceArrival(ByVal DeviceType As Long, ByVal DeviceID As Long, ByVal DeviceName As String, ByVal DeviceData As Long)
MsgBox "Arrival!"
End Sub

It detects my usb bluetooth device too, thanks. Now, two last things, how do I tell what device arrived, and how do I tell if a device is present at runtime?

Look in VBHelp (or MSDN) for "DeviceArrival Event Example"

I believe I should let your guys know that I've succeded, and I appreciate all you guys helping. Thank you.

Post your code to help others doing the same thing.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back