Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detect Windows Close Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new website seems to get a large number of exits at the point where the address is gathered, I want to popup the question of why they are leaving. I know a few people just like being nosey but there are dozens of them.

I know where most of them are linking from but don't understand why they leave at that point.

Keith

A javascript question really. But window.onBeforeUnload() works in all browsers BUT it also triggers when the user navigates to a different page.

OR

Code:
var posX = window.document.body.offsetWidth - window.event.clientX ;
var posY = window.event.clientY;
if (posX <=30 && posY < 0 ) {
	// User clicked the close button.
}

Will capture close button clicks but NO other close actions.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Do you actually need this information at this point? Many people are unhappy about providing unnecessary information to a website, and will move on if they feel excessive information is required. I would never give an address except to plan a route or to get a delivery for an item I had already ordered.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

If you are going to Paypal next, then address information from your site may be redundant, as that is normally supplied to you by Paypal as part of their system.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

The setup works fine as it is, many people are ordering goods on this particular site but quite a few exit off the address form. They have already been through the process of ordering the goods, they have been presented with a shopping basket, clicked to confiirm they wish to order the goods and are then asked for their address details so we know where to send the goods to.
We have asked a few of the regulars, if they find the order process difficult in any way and they are quite happy with it.

I just want to present, the ones who jump out of the address form, with an optional feedback form to ask why they are leaving.

Keith

Do you expect these users to respond to your request for feedback?

If they are leaving at this stage in the process I doubt that they would bother to complete the request (assuming they are not just robots anyway)

as for reason, I sometimes go through similar routes (exiting at point of final payment) as the only way to identify delivery charges/booking fees etc. whilst still comparing across many sites.

I certainly would not react positively to a pop-up at this point.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Cant argue with that, good luck
Seen the q on the Java script site & looks like the point of exit is an unusual one as well.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

js question is at -> thread216-1678126

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back