Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detail Section: Format Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knicks

Technical User
Apr 1, 2002
US
I have a report with 2 levels of groupings and in the detail section I have about 25 fields that can have a value of 'NFE'

The code I placed in the detail section looks at all the controls in the detail section and adds '1' evertime 'NFE' is a value. I then pass that value to an unbound text box on the detail line, [text113]

That portion works fine. But I am unable to sum that afterwards in any of the group footers. I've tried referring to the field and performing the sum 'over group' and also just using the Sum([text113]). Either I get unexpected results or it won't let me. I suppose what I am trying to do is close to a cross-tab query.

What would be the easiest way to now take those values from [text113] or the variable totalNSE and get sums in the 2 footers I have and then for the whole report.

Private Sub Detail_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
Dim totalNSe As Integer
Dim totalSp As Integer
Dim totalSpT As Integer
Dim ctl As Control

totalNSF = 0
totalNse = 0

For Each ctl In Me.Detail.Controls
'Debug.Print ctl.Value

If ctl.Value = "nfe" Then
totalNSe = totalNSe + 1
'Debug.Print totalNSe
Else
End If

Next ctl
'Debug.Print totalNSe

Text113 = totalNSe

First, change the name of text113 to txtTotNFEs. Then create two text boxes (txtGrpNFEs and txtAllNFEs) and set their control sources to:
=txtTotNFEs
Set their Running Sum properties to Over Group and Over All.
Then add text boxes to the group and report footers with Control Sources of:
=txtGrpNFEs
and
=txtAllNFEs
No promises but this might work. At least your text box will have a descriptive name ;-)

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thank you for trying,

I get some very odd numbers attempting that technique. Occassionally the numbers appear 'close' for the groupheader(0), they are completely off for the groupheader(1).

Yes, I used the group footers. The numbers rarely add correctly for the summing over the groups. And yet it adds perfectly across everytime.

If you can't identify the inconsistency, you may have to create an expression outside of code and then sum it.

I just created a similar report and it worked exactly as I expected. I used code to fill an unbound text box and then added a couple text boxes with running sums and referenced them in the group and report footer sections. Everything totaled exactly as expected.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanx,

So in theory that should of worked.

Its about 26 fields and I just thought it would be the smart advanced way to handle it. I knew I could of used the query with either an IIF or ABS and then totaled there yielding a bound field. Seemed like the tedious way to handle it, but it may have to be.

I don't know how your report doesn't work when mine does. I didn't have such a complex calculation but that shouldn't make a difference. My report is in the Northwind with code in the On Format of the Detail Section:
Code:
Private Sub Detail_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
    Me.txtTotNFEs = Me.Quantity * Me.UnitPrice
End Sub
The remainder of the solution is how I explained previously.

You didn't use the Page Footer section did you?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

No, just the group footer sections.

Your code doesn't loop through the controls though I suppose it replicates a similar situation.

There is no such thing in Access reports as "very odd numbers". There is a perfectly good explaination for all numbers even though it might be difficult to determine.

Can you tell me how you implemented my solution?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back