Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Destination port response

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepmur

Programmer
Dec 14, 2003
PT
Hi,

I need to send ping a machine (telnet for example) on any imaginary PORT and want the remote machine to respond saying Message Received or something Even if the Port doesnt exist..

Is there any tool which can achieve this ?? i,e. receive messages from remote machines at any arbitrary port and respond back saying No port Exist or message received ??

thnx,
sg

why not use a simple port scanner like superscan for that? If you hit an excisting port, the machine will reply and you will see in the scan log that the port excists on that machine.
regards,
robbie

hmm.. thought bout it but my boss doesnt want to use a Port Scanner... any other alternatives ??

thnx

why not? You can only scan the one machine you need, and increase the time between the pings to prevent loads of network traffic, if that is the issue.

This is the same as pinging the 65k ports on the machine.
Robbie

Take a look at Netcat. It has options that should allow you to do exactly what you would like to do.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back