Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desperately need help setting up wildcard certs on Apache/Tomcat

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel.warner

Programmer
Oct 9, 2018
US
Hello all!

I'm a programmer of many years but have been forced to complete wildcard certificates on several Tomcat servers. The end goal being that a PowerShell script will auto-install these certificates on servers without any user intervention. I have the PowerShell kung-fu necessary to get the job done but I'm having real issues getting the certificates to install when doing my testing manually.
I think the problem lies in the certs that I was given to install, but I'm no expert. I keep getting errors.

The certs I was handed to convert/install/use are:
1) ourDomain.cer
2) ourDomain.p7b
3) ourDomain.pfx
4) ourDomain.csr
5) ourDomainIntermediate.cer
6) ourDomainRoot.cer

Again, all these are wildcard certs... e.g. *.mydomain.org

What's the proper way of importing all these certs into Apache/Tomcat? I need instructions using keytool and/or openssl programs. No clicking/dragging/user-intervention please.

Your problem is that .cer are MS encoded for IIS you need to convert to .crt for Apache.

use openssl to convert them first.
Code:
 openssl x509 -inform DER -in certificate.cer -out certificate.crt

or get whomever ordered the certificates to get the correct format.

assuming only one domain being served by Apache.

Add these lines to httpd.conf
Code:
SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/crt/primary.crt

SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/crt/private.key

SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/ssl/crt/intermediate.crt

[Edit the paths to suit]

stop and restart Apache and SSL

apachectl restart

or

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

All options for apachectl are at

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Chris,

Thanks for replying!

The lines in the.cer files do not end in "^M" characters, do they still need to be converted? I just assumed it was safe to rename .cer to .crt and move on with the process.

Also, I'm using Tomcat on a Windows server platform, will I need to instead configure the <connector> tag in /conf/server.xml and restart the service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back