Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desperate USB Networking Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

benn600

MIS
May 20, 2004
US
This is the craziest problem I have heard of since starting my home network about 5 years ago. I have a desktop running Windows 2000. It had a usb 1.1 card in it and I added a Linksys usb 2.0 networking card. For the longest time it was working fine. I recently decided that since it was serving some files that it would be nice to upgrade the usb card to 2.0 and after doing this, the problems could do nothing but begin.

I am able to ping the computer, which has a specified IP address because I don't want it changing addresses of 192.168.2.3 and as I said, I can ping it fine. The problems begin when I copy files from it. One example is a 700mb file. When I copy it and watch the activity on my network, it doesn't get too high and then suddenly drops to 0%, and I can no longer ping the computer. Unplugging the cable and reattaching it doesn't help, either. As a test, I went back to my old usb 1.1 card and it didn't appear to have the problem. Once the computer loses its connection, it as if it has disappeared off the network yet the computer still shows a good connection and the networking lights flash randomly as they did before.

I have no idea what to do and my set up is incrediblely complicated. I have no monitor on the computer, but I use a remote access program. So, you can imagine me continually making a change and it might work for a few seconds, so I think it is working and I'll shut the comp off, and put the monitor back where I store it....it is really a mess. I have spent around 10 hours so far trying to track the problem down.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Linksys tech support is much worse than I remember it, but then again, this is also a very strange problem that is probably not going to be solved. This all started when I ran out of pci slots so I could no longer keep a dedicated ethernet card in there and had to resort to a usb card. Is there a way to run a computer without a video card? I have no need for this and if I could remove it without the system going crazy, then I could put the ethernet card back in and all should be well!

So is there a way to run without a video card? I still use remote access, though. Can I get a software simulated video card? I can live with a few beeps each time the computer starts up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back