Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desperate: Importing from dmp file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2006
US
I'm importing a dmp file from another Oracle database into Oracle 10g.

I'm using the command line with "full=y" to do it, but I get many errors about table spaces and users not existing.
I have tried turning off grants, no luck.
I tried the GUI way as well, other problems. It reads the import file fine and lets me select tables, but I can't get it all to come in.

How can I just get it all to import the tables and data regardless of old users that do not exist in this system and with not having to create table spaces? Is this possible?

I'm only importing it back into Oracle for a moment so I can then port it into SQL.

Twin,

On import, are you using the "FROMUSER=<source user> TOUSER=<target user>" semantic? That's what you need to avoid the "...user does not exist..." error.

twincalicos said:
...I'm only importing it back into Oracle for a moment...
If that is the case, then the "least fuss...least muss" method of avoiding the "...tablespace does not exist..." error is to

1) create the tablespace that it is looking for,
2) import the dump file,
3) get the data out to your meet your need,
4) DROP USER <target user> CASCADE;
5) DROP TABLESPACE <tablespace for the import>;
6) At the o/s level, erase the datafile that supported the tablespace that you just removed.

There are other ways to force the import, but they are messier than the steps, above.

Let us know if you have questions,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Thanks. Also, what Oracle user should I be using to create a tablespace?

I tried to make one using the "system" user to give it the one it wanted, but it seemed like the tablespace didn't get created.

I used the GUI screens to do it. Also, how do you know what size to make it?

Calico,

Refer to your other thread for response(s) to your most recent inquiry.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back