Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Voicemails marked as "read" immediately on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerfielder

Technical User
Feb 9, 2006
CA
I have a problem with some users with desktop messaging where new voice messages are immediately marked as "read" (unbolded)when they arrive to the inbox. Also if you try to right click and mark the message as "unread" it immediately goes unbolded. I have checked all settings and they are the same as users without the problem. I have also tried uninstalling the desktop client and reinstalling to no avail. Has anyone experienced this issue or have any idea what the problem might be? I am running CP 4.0.

If I am correct, this is a problem with your anti-virus program on the desktop. It is scanning all incoming messages to your email program, thus causing the message to essentially be "read". Unfortunately, it is read by the anti-virus software and not the person.

Thus when the message is bolded back to "Unread" the software sees a new message and scans it again.

Try turning off the anti-virus and run a test. I think there is a patch for this issue.

John

Thanks John, that makes a lot of sense but we did disable the AV without any luck. Also running a firewall client and removing that didn't correct the problem. Is the patch you refer to a Nortel update?

Do you have a forwarding rule setup for them? If so check to see if the rule is set to mark message as read upon delivery.

I do have notification of VM going to their Blackberry. Is there a setting somewhere in callpiot remote notification I should be looking at?

I had this problem only with a couple of outlook 2007 users. Tested my PC and changed back to Outlook 2003 it worked ok. Other 2007 users went to mycallpilot forwwarding rule to outlook enmail and removed CP desktop messaging.

JHenley

I had similar issues last time and it was the Google desktop that make the incoming new messages marked as "read"

if you have Google desktop or similar program, try to uninstall it

Yes, go to CP manager open the Mailbox in question and look at the FORWARDING RULE at the bottom for the person in question, click on it and check if the MARK as READ is selected.

OK Everyone I stumbled upon the fix for this issue.
1. Open your Callpilot Inbox.
2. At the top menu select
View
Arrange By
Custom...
3. Click the "Other Settings" button
4. In the "Auto Preview" section make sure the "No Auto Preview" radial is selected.
5. Click the "Font" button in the Auto Preview section and make sure the "font style" is set to bold.

You should also make sure your "unread" messages are set to bold in the "Automatic Formatting" section as well.

Thanks to everyone for yourt suggestions. You are alsways a great resource.

I have gone through centerfielder's suggestion and my settings were already set to "No Auto Preview". With my situation, it worked fine and then a couple weeks ago, it started marking all incoming voice messages as read. All my email messages are still marked unread when they come in.

I just opened an application that starts up java first. My voice messages immediately stopped being marked 'read' before I selected them (I was having the same problem as the title of this thread). When I installed that application a few weeks ago was when my voice mail started being marked as read immediately on entering my CallPilot box in Outlook. I upgraded to the newest version of java and everything worked fine.

I was told by my vendor not to upgrade java because CallPilot Manager in the BCM wouldn't work. I still need to check that.

As I installed the latest version of Java I noticed it gives the option for installing the google toolbar at the same time. Maybe the problem is the java, not the google toolbar itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back