Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop themes & wallpaper..... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

renajb

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
US
This question is going to show how really stupid I am about computers. I recently downloaded some cool desktops. My problem is, when I go to My Computer, then Display & Desktops, the ones I downloaded aren't listed there. Is there anyway I can put them there so I can change them out often? I have unzipped them, but still can't get them to go in that file. Also, somehow my husband has unintentionally put some pictures in the desktop selections. I have tried to delete them, but it won't let me. Is there anyway to get rid of these, since I know I'll never use them for that. If someone can give me pointers on how to get the files to go there at the time I'm downloading them, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

About the files you downloaded, all you should need to do is:

1) Right click on the desktop and select properties
2) The first page should be about your desktop background (I'm using 98 and the tab is called 'Background'...may be different in ME).
3) Select Browse
4) Find your file and select

To get rid of the ones your husband added, do a search for them and delete them through explorer. You should also be able to either move or rename if you don't want to delete them (not 100% sure about that though).

Locate your downloaded themes. Unzip Them into C:\Program Files\PLUS!\Themes After you do this, you should be able to access them from your Display/Themes menu.

Hope this helps,

zed

I tried doing what you suggested, but I still can't seem to find them there. When I went to My Computer, Display, Backgrounds, there still not in the menu list. When I download them, I send them to My Documents. Am I doing something wrong, or will I not be able to put them in that background list?

If you've got an actual theme:

1) The file should have a .theme extension. All you should have to do then is run it.
2) If it doesn't have the .theme extension and is stored in a zip file, do as zedzorander suggested above.

If you're talking about background pictures, they don't automatically become optional in the background selection (I think if you copy them into c:\windows it might work). You have to search for them through the browse option on the background screen if they're not in the list.

Last thing, what is the extension of these files i.e. .jpg. If you've got 'hide all known extensions' ticked in the folder options, the way you find out is right click and go to properties.

If you need any more help, let me know.

Good call thatrenowned. renajb, did you check under Display/Themes? Go into Display and click on Themes. Look down and you should see a Theme window that says current settings. Click on the arrow to the right of this window. This should display all of the themes you have available. Now click on the theme you wish to apply. Hit apply and ok. This should work if you have complete themes unzipped into Plus!. If you downloaded a Theme.exe, do as thatrenowned suggested and run the installation program. If you download a Theme.exe, read the agreement that that comes with the program. Many of these will install adware and/or spyware.

Hope this helps,

zed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back