Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop takes ages to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissirhc

Programmer
May 20, 2000
GB
Hello,
When I boot my PC and log on. The desktop takes a very long time to load. Why is this? The task bar and start menu are normal I think. Also when I try to load an explorer window it won't load until the desktop has loaded.

Any comments very welcome.

thanks

Chris

A common cause of slow booting is an installed networking device such as a NIC card that is not connected to a DHCP source. If you have a NIC that is not plugged into a network or a modem, you might want to assign it an IP address to facilitate prompt booting. If you’re on a LAN and have mapped drives, or log into an NT domain, the next suspect would be a miss-typed password or username.

Heh – on my own LAN I just ran into that last one. My dev machine was taking over 3 minutes to boot, but that was normally a 15 – 20 second process. Nothing I tried worked, and I was beating myself over the head trying to solve it. All of a sudden, as I was re-entering my password server-side for the zillionth time, it occurred to me I was using an 84 key keyboard on the server to save space, and it had the numpad integrated into the left side of the alpha keys. No indicator lights. The server booted with numlocks on per BIOS default, and since the password was hidden, I never noticed I was typing in numbers for part of my password. Once I turned numlocks off and retyped the password on the server my dev system instantly logged in with no further ado.

In practice, I’ve seen the delayed boot from a NIC many times. If this is not the issue, more information will be needed in order to troubleshoot it properly. When did this start? Was it right after a new install of hardware/software? Do you get any errors, such as stop errors, on a regular basis? Are there any other symptoms?

Hope this helps.

DosMaster
"To err is human, to really foul things up, it takes a computer."
"Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!"
" *REAL* Programmers can write: 'Copy Con Program.Exe' "
SETI-Be part of something special:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back