Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Redirection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinla01

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2005
GB
This one’s driving me crazy guys.

Clients = XP SP2
Servers= MS Server 2000 & 2003 Active Directory environment

All users have roaming profiles. Through Active Directory and Group Policy the users have their desktops redirected to a remote server location.

The problem I have is that when users delete a file (icon) from their desktop, it appears to have been delete however when they log of and their profile is written back to the server, the deleted file is recreated in the profiles and therefore reappears once the user logs back on.

Through group policy, I have enabled “delete cached copy of users profiles” and I though this may have something to do with the problem so I set the policy to “not configured”. This however did not solve the problem so I have enabled the policy again.

Any help would be great, I’m sure its something simple that I’m missing,

Thanks in advance

Andy

Is the file really recreated when the profile is copied back to the server or is the server version just not deleted when the profile is copied back?

I have two machines running, one monitoring the users desktop folder on the server (Eg. \\server1\profiles$\%username%\desktop) and the other running wnidows xp which i am using to log the user in.

From the xp machine logged in as the user i delete the file (testfile.txt) from the desktop, it is removed from desktop view. Instantly the file is deleted from the server view (Eg. \\server1\profiles$\%username%\desktop\testfile.txt).

When the user logs off, it gets to the logoff process of "saving user settings" and then the file (testfile.txt) is recreated in the the users profile.

Hope that's clear

Thanks for the help

Andy

To answer your question sorry, yes it does look as if the file is being deleted in the roaming profile and then being recreate on logoff.

Thanks

Andy

Hmmm that is odd we use a similar system here and i haven't seen that before. Do your users all have their own desktop that is redirected to the server (not a shared desktop) if this is the case then the users desktop that they see should be the folder on the server.

Just out of interest when you delete the test file from the desktop and it disappears from the server folder look in the local profile and see if it is in the desktop folder still.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop

K, this is gettng wierd.

I deleted the users roaming profile, made sure the local profile had been removed by group policy and then logged the user back on.

It recreated the roaming profile on the server, however it somhow managed to pull the icons deleted previously through to the new roaming profile. Before you ask the icons are not in the all users profile or the default users profile.

My heads messed with this one, could it have something to do with poicies, cached files, hidden folders etc???

Thanks guys
Andy

Yes i do, has this anything to do with the problem?

It could be. Try removing the default profile just while you create a new user and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back